Full stack development is a holistic strategy for the end-to-end development of web platforms and applications. A full stack web developer has the capacity to develop a fully-functioning web application or platform without any external help.
So, what is a full stack developer’s role? A full stack web developer can build the frontend, backend, and database of a web environment on his/her own. This is done generally with the help of existing technology stacks (such as MEAN or MERN) or by combining different technologies for the client-side and server-side.
In other development processes, generally, there are separate developers who work on the frontend and backend. These developers are referred to as frontend and backend developers. However, with full stack development, individuals can simply develop a fully-functioning platform such as a video streaming platform (like Netflix) or a social media platform (like Instagram) on their own.
These developers enjoy great salaries and companies are always on the lookout for skilled full stack developers. By hiring candidates with full stack developer skills, companies can save a lot of money and time. One of the main targets of a business is to increase its revenue. And, by saving costs, they can do so.
These are the reasons why full stack developers are in high demand. Now, let us understand what skills, tools, and technologies these developers require.
Introduction to Full Stack Development
Full Stack Development is the process of developing software from start to finish, from front-end to back-end.
What is a Full Stack Developer?
Full stack developers are responsible for creating the entire product, including all design, development, testing, and deployment.
What Does the Role of a Full Stack Developer Entail?
The job role of a full stack developer can be vastly different depending on the kind of company he/she is employed at and the project he/she is assigned to.
For example, if it is a medium-level web development firm, full stack developers might be responsible for building a web platform from scratch completely on their own. These full stack developers build their projects without any external help and handle the frontend, backend, and datasets alone.
Now, when it comes to large MNCs and corporates, full stack developers are generally assigned to a segment or portion of an existing project. Now, they must deal with improving the platform/application or troubleshooting existing glitches, bugs, and errors.
Many a time, these full stack developers also are engaged in R&D (research and development) for new platforms or projects. There are also sub-branches of a project that generally do not affect the mainstream (live) platform but experiment with new concepts or ideas.
Even though most of these experiments do not get added as updates or to the current builds of the project, experiments are always essential for improving the experience of end users. Let’s deep dive into the key full stack developer skills in detail.
What Technical Skills do Full Stack Developers Require?
Here are the technical skills required by a full stack developer:
For the frontend, these developers require CSS, HTML, and other frameworks or libraries such as Angular, Express, Vue, Bootstrap, and JQuery. While CSS and HTML are absolutely essential, the other frameworks and libraries are optional. This is one of the most crucial full stack developer skills.
To set up data flows and databases, developers need to know SQL or MongoDB. Developers get to choose between SQL and NoSQL technologies. Thus, one can choose among the dozens of available database tools.
Softs Skills Required by Full Stack Developers
Here are the soft skills that full stack developers require:
- Understanding business requirements
- Good business communication
- Strong work ethics
- Time management
- Project management
Front-end Languages and Frameworks
Apart from the skills required by a full stack developer, these front-end languages and frameworks are used by full stack developers to write code that runs in a web browser.
HTML and CSS
Another set of full stack developer skills required are HTML and CSS. HTML is used to structure webpages by defining headings, paragraphs, etc. CSS is used to style the appearance of page elements such as colors, fonts, etc.
Git and GitHub
Git and GitHub are very important full stack developer skills. Git is a version control system that lets you track changes made to your code. GitHub is a platform where developers can share their projects with others, collaborate and manage code versions.
Web Architecture is another fundamental full stack developer skills required. It involves planning, designing, and developing websites.
Backend Technologies and Frameworks
Backend technologies and frameworks are the foundation of full stack developer skills required. Frameworks are pre-built pieces of code allowing a specific type of functionality, such as a shopping cart. Backend technologies include programming languages like PHP.
Database Management Systems
A database management system (DBMS) is a software system that allows you to create, retrieve, update, and delete databases. It’s another foundational full stack developer skill required.
Fundamentals of Designs
Full stack developer skills also include knowing how to use the basic tools and techniques of design, such as sketching, wireframing, and etc.
Technology stacks typically include the programming language, web framework, database, third-party integrations, and other software that your team needs to build your product.
Popular Tools and Technologies in Full Stack Development
Here are some popular tools and technologies required for full stack development:
- HTML/CSS : HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language and is used to add content to a website. CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets and is an aesthetic tool that enables you to design and style your site. The combination of HTML and CSS can make or break the decision-making process for prospective customers.
The certified full stack developer needs to work with both HTML and CSS. The full stack developer must have extensive knowledge in both of these programming languages for creating a front-end for applications.
- Git and GitHub : Git is an open-source, distributed version control system that developers use to collaborate on software code. It promises speed and efficiency for both small and large-scale projects. Skilled programmers usually have a GitHub profile, which is compulsory for working in a team.
Users need to know about the basic Git commands, and to have a thorough understanding of how it works. With Git, full stack software Developers can track every minor modification done to the codebase. This empowers full stack Software Developers as they are able to explore new opportunities for security, workplace productivity, and better management.
The full stack Developer needs to also be a full stack android developer to bring in the necessary elements to build the control system on the software code.
A full stack Developer must know at least a few of these languages for backend development:
PHP – PHP is one of the most popular choices for backend development. Using PHP costs nothing, it has cross-platform compatibility, and works seamlessly on Windows, macOS, and Unix operating systems.
Python – Python’s code is easy to learn, and it can be used on many programming jobs. Plus, it has a vast collection of libraries to work with.
Ruby – Ruby is a programming language with an active community of developers. It also has excellent documentation, dependencies, and is considered the ideal choice for backend development.
Java – Java can be used with web, desktop, and mobile application development. It offers frameworks that will further simplify backend programming.
- Web architecture : A programmer with a variety of skills, not unlike the MEAN stack developer skills, is able to use their trade for both front-end and backend development. This is called full stack Development. full stack Developers must know how to set up the code, structure files, and databases.
- HTTP and REST : HTTP is the protocol for communicating with a client, and REST is a system interface between HTTP communication. HTTP and HTTP are common for back-end development, so the full stack Developer must become proficient in both.
- Database storage : All web apps need a database powered by a developer who has skills in relational databases and database storage. Full stack developers need to be adept at designing, understanding, and manipulating Database Queries. They also need to know how to work with XML and JSON. Things that a full stack Developer must know concerning database storage and management are characteristics of relational/non-relational data, knowledge of NoSQL databases and knowledge of web storage.
- Basic design skills : It is important for a full stack Developer to have strong design skills in both frontend and backend knowledge. A website will not be successful if they are unattractive and unappealing. As such, it is crucial that the material is user-friendly and appealing to the users with a neat design established. Designers must ensure their code is scalable, as well as UI and UX design.
- NPM : NPM a source for the installation of node.js packages. It also offers solutions to any dependencies that you may have. It is highly configurable, and can be used in many different projects and tasks, such as publishing, installing, or discovering.
- Soft skills : When you become a full stack Developer, you need to have the perfect mix of technical skill and soft skills. Every full stack developer needs to have certain skills such as analytical bent of mind, good time management skills, curiosity for learning, attention to detail, a creative vision and patience.
Depending on what kind of web application or platform you are working on, the technologies and tools that you choose are crucial to the success of the project.
All of these tools and technologies can be learned with the help of online professional courses.
Full Stack Development as a Career
If you're a full stack web developer, you are a jack of all trades. You know how to build both the front end and back end of a website or application. Full stack development is an extremely in-demand career and there are many jobs available.
Challenges Faced in Full Stack Development
Here are some of the challenges faced by full stack web developers:
- Different technologies, frameworks, and languages
- Work on multiple projects
- Understand other developers' projects
How to Learn all the Necessary Full Stack Developer Skills?
In order to learn these skills, you can refer to any good full stack developer course online. However, you must be aware of the technologies that are covered in the program as many online professional courses include older tools and technologies. It is recommended that you go for a course that focuses on popular stacks such as MEAN or MERN.
Even without a full stack developer course, you can learn all the technologies you will need with online learning platforms. However, a guided program with real-world projects will definitely help you learn better.
You can easily learn all the necessary skills with the help of Hero Vired’s certificate program in full stack development. This program comprises workshops, industry projects, and hands-on learning sessions. This is easily one of the best full stack developer courses that will allow you to acquire all the full stack developer skills you need.
This full stack web development course features the MERN stack and you also learn how to use Python and MySQL. While MERN can help you become a full stack developer, Python and MySQL also open up your avenues to use other technology stacks for different development processes.
Each skill is necessary for a specific portion of the web development process. Frontend technologies allow developers to build the client-side experience of the end user. Meanwhile, backend technologies help developers build the web platform’s core functionalities and backend functions.
By and large, a full stack developer is responsible for developing, maintaining, and improving a web application or platform on their own. With a full stack development certification, one can become capable enough to handle all these segments of a full stack development process.
Online learning is the future and a good program such as the full stack web development course by Hero Vired will definitely help you become a skilled full stack developer.
Web development is one of the most popular domains in information technology in modern times. Why? It is due to the growing need for businesses to go online. A digital revolution is happening right now where more businesses than ever are shifting online from brick and mortar shops. Due to this digital revolution, new requirements are also opening up and businesses are coming up with new strategies to present their products or services online.
In this article, we have covered the skills required by a full stack developer in detail along with other frameworks and languages used. In conclusion, a full stack developer is a highly skilled professional who can perform all of the functions required to create and maintain an application end-to-end.
Read more such useful guides to compare other tools and technologies before making a career choice: