Data science and application of data mining are among two essential topics in technology revolving around data. Nevertheless, their technique of using the data differentiates them from each other. Moreover, one needs different knowledge for carrying out operations in these two fields. This post will highlight more about data mining, followed by its applications in 2023.
What Is Data Mining?
Data mining is often called the KDD or knowledge discovery in data. This process involves unveiling the patterns or crucial information from large data sets. Owing to the evolution in big data's growth and technology of data warehousing, incorporating data mining techniques has upsurged over the past few years. This has helped several companies by converting the raw data into beneficial knowledge.
Nevertheless, since technology is ever-evolving when it comes to handling large-scale data, company leaders find automation and scalability challenging. It is worth mentioning that application areas of data mining have enhanced the decision-making process within an organisation via insightful and functional data analysis. Let’s dive more into the major applications of data mining in detail.
Why Is Data Mining Important?
Data mining is essential to an organisation's successful analytics initiatives. The information generated through it could be used in advanced analytics and business intelligence data mining applications. This involves historical data analysis and real-time analytics applications that examine streaming data when collected or created.
Operative data mining is helpful in several aspects of business strategy planning and managing operations. It also involves customer-oriented functions like advertising, marketing, customer support, and sales and business-oriented functions like supply chain management, manufacturing, HR, and finance. We will go through a list of Data Mining applications that are big and very popular.
Overview of Data Mining Techniques
Data analytics and business intelligence teams widely use data mining techniques to extract valuable knowledge from extensive data for various industrial or business functions. The main methods include:
- Association rules
The association rules aid in finding relationships amidst variables in each dataset. It is mostly used in market-based analysis, enabling companies to comprehend the relationship between each product better. Learning about the customer's consumption habits helps a business to create recommendation engines and cross-selling strategies.
- Neural networks
Neural networks handle training data by simulating the connection of the human brain using layers of nodes, which are mainly used for deep learning algorithms. Inputs, weights, a bias (or threshold), and an output comprise each node.
- Decision tree
The decision tree uses regression or classification methods to predict or classify potential outcomes based on a decision set. It utilises a tree-like Data Visualisation Tools to represent the outcomes of the decisions.
- K- nearest neighbour (KNN)
KNN, or K-nearest neighbour algorithm, is a non-parametric technique to classify data points depending on their association and proximity to other data. It assumes that the same data point could be present near each other.
Major Applications of Data Mining
While there could be various applications of data mining, the major ones include the following:
1. Data Mining Application in Business Intelligence
The definition of data mining and business intelligence differs, but they work best when together. Data mining applications could be business intelligence's precursor. After collecting the data, it is often unstructured and raw. So, drawing a proper conclusion becomes difficult. Data mining helps to decode such complicated datasets while delivering a clean vision for any business's intelligence to derive meaningful insights.
Note: Please use the similar image, this image is only for reference
2. Data Mining Application in Healthcare
To target high-value doctors better and determine which marketing initiatives will be most effective in the next months, a pharmaceutical industry might monitor their new deals force activity and results.
3. Data Mining Application in Fraud Detection and Prevention
The old-fashioned techniques of fraud detection take a lot of time and effort. Data mining software efficiently generates trustworthy data and intelligent information in this situation. A strong fraud detector should properly protect user information.
4. Data Mining Application in Marketing and Advertising
If there was ever a field where Data mining applications were advantageous, it's marketing! After all, the core of marketing is successfully targeting clients to achieve the best outcomes. Knowing about your audience is the greatest approach to targeting them.
5. Data Mining Application in Social Media Analysis
The practice of mining social data is called social media data mining. Social media data mining goes outside the internal databases and systems of a particular corporation or research organisation, in contrast to regular data mining. It generally entails gathering, processing, and analysing unprocessed data from social media networks to identify significant patterns and trends, make judgements, and offer insightful and helpful information.
6. Data Mining Application in Supply Chain Management
The challenge that most supply chain managers encounter is how to effectively comprehend the technological and logistical ramifications of the extensive informational resource. Ata mining not only aids in preventing the 'bullwhip effect' but also makes integrating different supply chain verticals simple.
7. Data Mining Application in Education
Data mining applications include the Educational Data Mining (EDM) approach to examine the education sector. Both instructors and learners can use the patterns produced by this strategy. Several significant educational tasks may be carried out utilising data mining EDM.
8. Data Mining Application in Biological Data Analysis
Biomedical, proteomic, and genomic research frequently employ biological data mining techniques. Data science approaches have several benefits, including characterizing patients' behaviour, forecasting office visits, and discovering treatments for specific conditions.
Step in choosing a Data Mining System
The following variables are often considered when choosing an appropriate data mining system.
- Data Type: It's essential to determine the types of data a mining system can handle before deciding.
- Type of Sources: When choosing a data mining system, data sources come into play. While some data mining systems use ASCII text files, others may interact with relational sources.
- System compatibility: The data mining system should work with at least one operating system. Some structures additionally offer web-based user interfaces and support XML data entry.
- Data mining techniques: A data mining applications system should be chosen based on its features.
- Database or data warehouse systems: To build a unified and integrated environment suitable for information processing, you must couple your data mining system with a database or a data warehouse.
- Scalability: Another crucial component of a data mining system is the capacity to scale both database size (row) and dimension (column).
- Visualisation tools: Its visualisation capabilities would also be considered when selecting a data mining system.
- User interface: Interactive data mining requires a graphical user interface that is easy to use.
Recent Trends in Data Mining
Let's go through some of the technological developments that, in recent years, have proven essential to data mining.
- Visual data mining has grown significantly in popularity recently and offers novel potential for knowledge discovery.
- • Web mining: Among the top data mining applications, web content mining, web log mining, and other mining techniques have established themselves.
- • Research analysis: The IT industry is no longer the only place where data mining is used. The broad study area has significantly changed due to data cleansing, pre-processing, visualisation, and database integration.
- • Interactive data mining technique: Data mining systems can efficiently manage enormous amounts of data and uncover intriguing patterns under various requirements and limits.
For analysis, data mining forecasts the future and explains the past. As a result, data mining applications and uses in several sectors and disciplines follow. To produce the best insights and solutions, data mining—while not a standalone entity—is the essential process that collaborates with pre-processing techniques like data preparation, data exploration, etc., and post-processing techniques like model validation, model performance monitoring, scoring, etc.
About the Author
Hero Vired is a leading learn-tech company that provides programs pertinent to the sector in association with premier institutions to foster the next generation of change-makers.